Structural Steelwork Detailing Diploma
Enroll online for this courses here!
National Diploma: Structural Steelwork Detailing (NQF5)
SAQA ID: 48636
Full-time / Part Time:
Every Saturday (2 years)
Third year – practical in workplace
Become a specialist in Structural Steelwork Detailing. The qualification has been developed to assist with standardization across the
steel construction industry. This will allow a person to register as a structural steel detail draughtsperson and lay a foundation for
future career advancement to supervisory and management qualifications within the sector.
Learner must have required Maths on Matric level and Draughting skills or completion of the MDDOP course and ideally must be
working within the SSD industry.
This candidate must understand and have experience in Shop Detailing, which are detailing of beams, columns, grids,
platforms and understand GA’s.
Access to this qualification is open, bearing in mind learning assumed, to be in place.
- Connection design and draughting practice techniques for basic structural steelwork assemblies
- Strength of materials
- Regulations, codes and drawing office practice on structural steel detailing processes
- Processes and sequences of the production of the detail drawings integrated with fabrication and site functions. Impact of these on time and cost of producing quality products within a contract
- Bracing systems, mechanical properties and load bearing calculations are illustrated
- Quality Control of fabrication assembly and erection of structural steelwork
- Drawing layouts according to drawing office practice and setting out points are calculated.
Every Saturday. Third year – practical in workplace
Career path/ Opportunities
- Structural Mechanics and design
- Structural drawing and design
- Structural Engineer
(R29 000 per year)
R3 000 deposit and the balance in 10 equal installments. Please note that annual fee increases, not in excess of 10%, may apply.
Applicable Red, Yellow, Green and Blue books.
City & Guilds certificate.
Certificate from the Construction Seta. City and Guilds International Certificate.
The African Academy is:
City & Guilds is a globally recognized and respected awarding organization and serves as a benchmark for
The content of this brochure, accurate at the time of going to print, is subject to change without notification
due to legislation, market requirements or any other reason. African Academy reserves the right to any
change without notice.